image here

The Blue Lady (2014)

My first major creation two months after beginning experimentation with Babylon.js. The original file size for the animated mesh was 7.05Mb but huge improvements to the Blender Exporter by JCPalmer have reduced the file size to 2.72Mb.

The mesh was created with MakeHuman and animated with the MalkWalk plugin for Blender. The animation itself is from The Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) BVH database available here.

Original royalty free music - "Bassa Island"- composed by Kevin Mcleod at

* Total File Size : 3.69Mb *

image here

DNA Error (2014)

In 2014 a book was published claiming to have identified "Jack the Ripper" as one Aaron Kosminski by analyzing the DNA found on a "shawl" alleged taken from the scene of the murder of Catherine Eddowes (4th Ripper Victim).

The Eddowes connection to the "shawl" is based on a claim that the DNA shows a sequence mutation which is described as "314.1C". Professor Sir Alec Jeffreys, the forensic scientist who invented DNA fingerprinting, describes this as an "error in nomenclature" for the very common sequence variation 315.1C. Wikipedia : Aaron Kosminski

The animated model shows how the end result for a mutation at 314 or 315 would be chemically identical.

* Total File Size : 127 Kb *

image here

An Old Victorian House (2016)

The original Blender file for this old house comes from tutorials by Michael McCann of the Wayward Art Co. The modelling techniques used for the house are very good.

Michael provided the Blender file and gave permission to use his model as a test of BJS. The original model I got from Michael has 4 textures for the house - diffuse, normal, specular, and shadow. However, each texture is extremely large (5000+ x 5000+) - a massive browser download.

So for this test the model was modified in Blender to use only a diffuse texture (2048x2048) with baked in shadows

* Total File Size : 7.7Mb - mainly the texture (2048x2048px)*

image here

Cassini Terrestial Globe 1790 (2016)

This little demo started out as looking like a simple task but it turns out that creating maps for these old globes was quite a complex business and the skills of the old globe makers is impressive

The globe makers created strips of textures called "gores" which were then glued onto a sphere. No NASA maps back then !!

I used map parts available at the David Rumsey Map Collection available under this CC licence (No Commercial Use) to create the final map. You can see the 12 "gores" (segments) at the map link.

* Total File Size : 2.55Mb - mainly the globe texture (2048x2048px)*